Saturday, July 22, 2017

Apropos of Nothing: Spider-Man Homecoming









Recently, I saw the new Spider-Man movie, and it was better than I had expected. Was it as great as the original Spider-Man? No. But it was still a fun popcorn flick nonetheless. Great action. Equally great comedy. Overall, a great movie.

I’d even go far as to say that Tom Holland played a better Spider-Man/Peter Parker than Toby McGuire. I’m dead serious. Toby may have provided a great performance for a great film, but at the end of the day, he’s still a middle-aged man pretending to be a high school student. For Tom, on the other hand, there’s no doubt that he’s a high school student. So not the best Spider-Man movie, but certainly the best Spider-Man.

But perhaps the most entertaining part has been the butthurt reactions over the more “diverse” casting, especially with the black as coffee Mary Jane. Personally, I rolled my eyes at this blatant attempt at a Hollywood studio to earn more “diversity points” by swapping the race of a pre-existing white character, but since it was for a role that was rather minor and inconsequential, I didn’t let it bother me. I can’t say the same thing for the alt right saddos who are crying “white genocide” over this. (LOL! U mad, broflakes?)