Friday, August 19, 2016

#120: Free Energy






I already mentioned this in the commentary for a previous comic, but I still find it hard to believe that I’m nearly 30 years old and I’m still living in a world whose roads are prominently dominated by fossil fuel cars.

What I’m about to say may have me slandered as a “filthy statist” by my fellow libertarians, but honestly, if the government (either on the federal or state level) were to ban fossil fuel vehicles, I would not have a problem with that.

Many of my fellow libertarians may consider such a ban along the lines of banning guns or marijuana, but it seems to be more realistically comparable to banning lead paint. Nobody cries “big government” because toy companies are prohibited from painting their toys with lead. So why should we be anymore hesitant about prohibiting car companies from producing vehicles fueled by a nearly obsolete, quickly diminishing, and overall filthy energy source?

Requiring car companies to manufacture solely electric-powered cars would hardly be such a burdensome request. Most auto manufacturers already produce hybrid cars, so how hard would it be to shift their production strictly to electric? Besides, we already require cars to be manufactured with safety belts and airbags, and again, nobody seems to cry “big government” over those regulations.

The only real argument against electric cars seem to be that they're not really "green", as, despite not running on fossil fuels, the electricity used to power them is often generated from less-than-green-and-eco-friendly sources. That’s a valid counter-argument. However, it’s not so much an argument against electric cars as it is an argument for more alternative and renewable energy sources—including nuclear energy, which is, strangely enough, strongly opposed by environmentalists despite being a proven clean energy source.

Again, I know I’m going to be criticized by my fellow libertarians over this, but I strongly believe that our country needs to shift away from obsolete fossil fuels and more toward cleaner, renewable energy, and if such a shift require government force, so be it. If the government forced televisions to switch from analog to digital broadcast, why should a switch from dirty to green cars be any more of a hassle?

I know many of my fellow libertarians are already rabidly typing away at the keyboard to call me a “green pinko hippe commuinist.” And I get it. We libertarians are going to disagree on issues such as this, which is to be expected from an ideology based on individuality. So feel free to disagree with me and explain to me why my proposition is wrong. Just don’t be a dick about it. I welcome your dissent. Thanks!