Wednesday, June 22, 2016

#109: Pessimism







I was three in 1990. I was 13 in 2000. The Nineties were literally my childhood. As such, I admit that I wear rose-colored nostalgia goggles when it comes to that decade, and I have more than enough self-awareness to lift those goggles and acknowledge that the decade wasn’t as flawless as I and many other nineties kids remember those years to be. However, I’d like to imagine that the shortcomings of that decade pale in comparison to the dumpster fire that has been the last two decades.

Yes, we had the Rodney King shooting and the LA Riots, but that doesn’t compare to the current epidemic of police brutality and the race rioting that has since followed. Yes, we had the Twin Towers bombing, but it didn’t create the same meltdown that 9/11 created with the current War on Terror. Yes, we had the Columbine shooting, but it didn’t elicit the same anti-gun hysteria that the current onslaught of mass shootings has created. And yes, despite what libtards would have you believe, Clinton was not the second coming of Christ, but I’d take his reign over that of the past two anti-Christs that have been Bush and Obama.

What made the Nineties exceptional in my eyes and those of my fellow millennials was how that decade offered us all a blank slate. The Cold War had ended. The Soviet Union had fallen. The Berlin Wall was long gone. Apartheid was lifted. The post-recession economy was recovering and prospering. And technology such as the internet was on the rise. The world was our oyster, and the pearl for a better tomorrow was on the horizon.

Unfortunately, the past two decades had since squandered what little potential from that decade remained, and if Bush or Obama hadn’t killed it, then either Trump or Hillary would—that is, if we survive either of their administrations.